Research and Faculty Exchange
A thriving partnership relies on extensive research and faculty exchange across a broad spectrum of areas of the arts, engineering, and sciences.
Featured research and faculty exchange
Click on the links below for more detailed information on featured ongoing collaborative activities.
- Sebastian Stichel (KTH) and Chris Barkan (Illinois)
- Helena Wulff and Ulf Hannerz (SU) and Virginia Dominguez (Illinois)
- Brian Deal (Illinois) and Vladimir Cvetkovic (KTH)
- Karl Henrik Johansson (KTH) and Cedric Langbort (Illinois)
- Juhee Kim (Illinois) and Sven Bremberg and Liselotte Schäfer Elinder (KI)
- Gunilla Efraimsson (KTH) and Daniel Bodony (Illinois)
- Bruce Fouke (Illinois), Vincent Bulone (KTH), and Dag Ahrén (Lund)
- John Abelson (Illinois) and Torsten Fransson (KTH)
- Peter Brzezinski and Pia Ädelroth (SU) and Robert Gennis (Illinois)
- Angharad Valdivia (Illinois) and Leif Dahlberg (KTH)
- Niklas Abrahamsson (SU) and Silvina Montrul (Illinois)
- Mara Wade (Illinois) and Elisabeth Wåghäll Nivre (SU)
- Amelie Eriksson Karlström (KTH) and Rashid Bashir (Illinois)
- Rakesh Bobba (Illinois) and György Dán (KTH)
- Tomas Riad (SU) and José I. Hualde (Illinois)
- Clifford Singer and Tomasz Kozlowski (Illinois) and Waclaw Gudowski and Mats Jonsson (KTH)
- Fouad Abd El Khalick (Illinois) and Per-Olof Wickman and Jakob Gyllenpalm (SU)
- Pramod Viswanath (Illinois) and Mikael Skoglund (KTH)
- Mark Safstrom (Illinois) and Dag Avango (KTH)
Watershed Planning for Urban-Regional Development
Prof. Brian Deal of the Department of Urban and Regional Planning is a formal guest researcher on a SEK 1.82M award to his collaborator Prof. Vladimir Cvetkovic of the KTH Department of Water Resources Engineering from the Swedish Research Council Formas. The research project, which was initiated in 2014, aims to integrate Prof. Deal's expertise and modeling tool LEAM in a hydrological model for water resource management.
Exascale Programming Models
Illinois is an associate partner, and only non-EU participant, in the EC-funded EpiGRAM (Exascale ProGRAmming Models) consortium led by KTH (coordinator) and including Vienna University of Technology, Fraunhofer, Cray UK, and the University of Edinburgh. The three-year project, which started on November 1, 2013, with Prof. William Gropp of the Department of Computer Science as the Illinois coordinator, aims to develop message-passing and programming models that address current limitations on exascale systems, able to perform 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 floating operations per second!
Computational Fluid Dynamics
Dr. Ardeshir Hanifi of the KTH Linné Flow Centre is the principal investigator on a SEK 2.7M award from the Swedish Research Council on computational analysis of the response to perturbations in compressible boundary-layer flows. The project, which started in 2012, relies on computational algorithms and software developed by Prof. Dan Bodony of the Department of Aerospace Engineering, a formal project collaborator.
Joint Publications (Since 2011)
- Panahandeh, G., Hutchinson, S., Händel, P., Jansson, M., "Planar-Based Visual Inertial Navigation: Observability Analysis and Motion Estimation," in press Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems: Theory and Applications, 2015.
- Katselis, D., Rojas, C.R., "Application-oriented estimator selection," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 22(4), 6926736, pp. 489-493, 2015.
- Bogart, T., Haase, C., Hering, M.c Lorenz, B., Nill, B, Paffenholz, A., Rote, G., Santos, F., Schenck, H., "Finitely many smooth d-polytopes with n lattice points," Israel Journal of Mathematics, 207 (1), pp. 301-329, 2015.
- Mohammadiha, N., Smaragdis, P., Panahandeh, G., Doclo, S., "A state-space approach to dynamic nonnegative matrix factorization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 63 (4), 6996052, pp. 949-959, 2015.
- Strain, I.N., Wu, Q., Pourrahimi, A.M., Hedenqvist, M.S., Olsson, R.T., Andersson, R.L., "Electrospinning of recycled PET to generate tough mesomorphic fibre membranes for smoke filtration," Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 3 (4), pp. 1632-1640, 2015.
- Bassyouni, F., Elhalwany, N., Abdel Rehim, M., Neyfeh, M., "Advances and new technologies applied in controlled drug delivery system," Research on Chemical Intermediates, 41 (4), pp. 2165-2200, 2015.
- Katselis, D., Rojas, C.R., Godoy, B.I., Agüero, J.C., Beck, C.L., "On the end-performance metric estimator selection," Automatica, 58, pp. 22-27, 2015.
- Von Ballmoos, C., Gonska, N., Lachmann, P., Gennis, R.B., Ädelroth, P., Brzezinski, P., "Mutation of a single residue in the ba3 oxidase specifically impairs protonation of the pump site," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 112 (11), pp. 3397-3402, 2015.
- Katselis, D., Rojas, C.R., Beck, C.L., "Estimator selection: End-performance metric aspects," Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 7172026, pp. 4430-4435, 2015.
- Trkulja, C.L., Jansson, E.T., Jardemark, K., Orwar, O., "Probing structure and function of ion channels using limited proteolysis and microfluidics," Journal of the American Chemical Society, 136 (42), pp. 14875-14882, 2014.
- Ahn, Y.O., Mahinthichaichan, P., Lee, H.J., Ouyang, H., Kaluka, D., Yeh, S.-R., Arjona, D., Rousseau, D.L., Tajkhorshid, E., Ädelroth, P., Gennis, R.B., "Conformational coupling between the active site and residues within the KC-channel of the Vibrio cholerae cbb3-type (C-family) oxygen reductase," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 111 (42), pp. E4419-E4428, 2014.
- Messina, L., Nastar, M., Garnier, T., Domain, C., Olsson, P., "Exact ab initio transport coefficients in bcc Fe-X (X=Cr, Cu, Mn, Ni, P, Si) dilute alloys," Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, 90 (10), 104203, 2014.
- Kozlowski, T., Wysocki, A., Gajev, I., Xu, Y., Downar, T., Ivanov, K., Magedanz, J., Hardgrove, M., March-Leuba, J., Hudson, N., Ma, W., "Analysis of the OECD/NRC Oskarshamn-2 BWR stability benchmark," Annals of Nuclear Energy, 67, pp. 4-12, 2014.
- Hadjicostis, C.N., Charalambous, T., "Average consensus in the presence of delays in directed graph topologies," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 59 (3), 6571230, pp. 763-768, 2014.
- Charalambous, T., Hadjicostis, C.N., Johansson, M., "Distributed minimum-time weight balancing over digraphs," Proceedings of ISCCSP 2014 - 2014 6th International Symposium on Communications, Control and Signal Processing, 6877847, pp. 190-193, 2014.
- Hualde, J.I. & Riad, T., "Word accent and intonation in Baltic," In Campbell, Gibbon & Hirst, eds., Speech prosody 7, 668-672, 2014.
- Matafonov, A., Leung, P.Y., Gailani, A.E., Grach, S.L., Puy, C., Cheng, Qa, Sun, M.-F., McCarty, O.J.T., Tucker, E.I., Kataoka, H., Renné, T., Morrissey, J.H., Gruber, A., Gailani, D., "Factor XII inhibition reduces thrombus formation in a primate thrombosis model," Blood, 123(110, pp. 1739-1746, 2014.
- Teixeira, A., Dán, G., Sandberg, H., Berthier, R., Bobba, R.B., Valdes, A., "Security of smart distribution grids: Data integrity attacks on integrated volt/VAR control and countermeasures," Proceedings of the American Control Conference, art. no. 6859265, pp. 4372-4378, 2014.
- Farokhi, F., Teixeira, A.M.H., Langbort, C., "Gaussian cheap talk game with quadratic cost functions: When herding between strategic senders is a virtue," Proceedings of the American Control Conference, art. no. 6859123, pp. 2267-2272, 2014.
- Svahn, E., Faxén, K., Gennis, R.B., Brzezinski, P., "Proton pumping by an inactive structural variant of cytochrome c oxidase," Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 140, pp. 6-11, 2014.
- Peltonen, J., Ma, W., Kozlowski, T., "Effective Spatial Mapping for Coupled Code Analysis of Thermal-Hydraulics/Neutron-Kinetics of Bioling Water Reactors," Annals of Nuclear Energy, 63, pp. 461-485, 2014.
- Gajev, I., Ma., W., Kozlowski, T., "Sensitivity analysis of input uncertain parameters on BWR stability using TRACE/PARCS," Annals of Nuclear Energy, 67, 49-58, 2014.
- Mörtberg, U., Haas, J., Zetterberg, A., Franklin, J.P., Jonsson, D., Deal, B., "Urban ecosystems and sustainable urban development-analysing and assessing interacting systems in the Stockholm region," Urban Ecosystems, 16(4), 763-782, 2013.
- Mohammadiha, N., Smaragdis, P., Leijon, A., "Simultaneous noise classification and reduction using a priori learned models," Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Workshop on Machine Learning for Signal Processing, art. no. 6661951, 2013.
- Dani, A., Panahandeh, G., Chung, S.-J., Hutchinson, S., "Image moments for higher-level feature based navigation," Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, art. no. 6696413, pp. 602-609, 2013.
- Panahandeh, G., Jansson, M., Hutchinson, S., "IMU-camera data fusion: Horizontal plane observation with explicit outlier rejection," Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation, art. no.6817890, 2013
- Dán, G., Lui, K.-S., Tabassum, R., Zhu, Q., Nahrstedt, K., "SELINDA: A secure, scalable and light-weight data collection protocol for smart grids," Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, SmartGridComm, art. no. 6688004, pp. 480-485, 2013.
- Vukovic, O., Dán, G., Bobba, R.B., "Confidentiality-preserving obfuscation for cloud-based power system contingency analysis," Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, SmartGridComm, art. no. 6687996, pp. 432-437, 2013.
- Seim, A.L., Parente, S.L., "Democracy as a middle ground: A unified theory of development and political regimes," European Economic Review, 64, pp. 35-56, 2013
- Buyukdegirmenci, V.T., Nategh, S., Magill, M.P., Krein, P.T., "A fast and flexible analytical approach for thermal modeling of a linear stator structure," Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference, IEMDC 2013, art. no. 6556184, pp. 793-800, 2013.
- Smirnova, I., Chang, H.-Y., Von Ballmoos, C., Ädelroth, P., Gennis, R.B., Brzezinski, P., "Single mutations that redirect internal proton transfer in the ba 3 oxidase from thermus thermophilu," Biochemistry, 52(40), 7022-7030, 2013.
- Bassyouni, F., ElHalwany, N., Abdel Rehim, M., Neyfeh, M., "Advances and new technologies applied in controlled drug delivery system," to appear Research on Chemical Intermediates, pp. 1-36, 2013.
- Buyukdegirmenci, V.T., Magill, M.P., Nategh, S., Krein, P.T., "Development of closed-form solutions for fast thermal modeling of rotating electric machinery," Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference, IEMDC 2013, art. no. 6556189, pp. 832-838, 2013.
- Salm E., Duarte, C., Jokilaakso, N., Reddy, B. Jr., Dorvel, B., Bashir, R., "Integrated 'Lab-on-a-Transistor' with Droplets-in-Air for Parallel Nanoliter Reactions," Micro and Nanotechnology Lab.
- Mohammadiha, N., Smaragdis, P., Leijon, A., "Supervised and Unsupervised Speech Enhancement Using Nonnegative Matrix Factorization," IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, 21(10), art. no. 2270369 , pp. 2140-2151, 2013.
- Mohammadiha, N., Smaragdis, P., Leijon, A. "Prediction based filtering and smoothing to exploit temporal dependencies in NMF," Proceedings of the ICASSP, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, art. no. 6637773, pp. 873-877, 2013.`
- Farokhi, F., Langbort, C., Johansson, K.H., "Decentralized disturbance accommodation with limited plant model information," SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, 51 (2), pp. 1543-1573, 2013.
- Jokilaakso, N., Salm, E., Chen, A., Millet, L., Guevara, C.D., Dorvel, B., Reddy, B., Karlstrom, A.E., Chen, Y., Ji, H., Sooryakumar, R., Bashir, R., "Ultra-localized single cell electroporation using silicon nanowires," Lab on a Chip - Miniaturisation for Chemistry and Biology, 13 (3), pp. 336-339, 2013.
- Farokhi, F., Langbort, C., Johansson, K.H., "Optimal structured static state-feedback control design with limited model information for fully-actuated systems," Automatica, 49 (2), pp. 326-337, 2013.
- Sriver, R.L., Huber, M., Chafik, L., "Excitation of equatorial Kelvin and Yanai waves by tropical cyclones in an ocean general circulation mode," Earth System Dynamics, 4(1), 1-10, 2013.
- Gajev, I., Ma, W., Kozlowski, T., "Space-time convergence analysis on BWR stability using TRACE/PARCS," Annals of Nuclear Energy, 51, pp. 295-306, 2013.
- Mohammadiha, N., Smaragdis, P., Leijon, A., "Low-Artifact Source Separation Using Probabilistic Latent Component Analysis," IEEE Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics, 2013.
- Johansson, A.-L., Carlsson, J., Högbom, M., Hosler, J.P., Gennis, R.B., Brzezinski, P., "Proton uptake and pKa changes in the uncoupled Asn139Cys variant of cytochrome c oxidase," Biochemistry, 52 (5), pp. 827-836, 2013.
- Johansson, A.-L., Högbom, M., Carlsson, J., Gennis, R.B., Brzezinski, P., "Role of aspartate 132 at the orifice of a proton pathway in cytochrome c oxidase," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 110(22), 8912-8917, 2013.
- Li, H., Dán, G., Nahrstedt, K., "FADEC: Fast Authentication for Dynamic Electric Vehicle Charging," Computer Science Research and Tech Report, IDEALS, 2013.
- O'Reilly, C.J., Alenius, E., Efraimsson, G., Bodony, D.J., "Aero-acoustic simulations of an orifice plate mounted in a low-Mach-number ducted flow," 18th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (33rd AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference), 2012.
- Silveira, A., Scanavini, D., Boquist, S., Ericsson, C.-G., Hellénius, M.-L., Leander, K., De Faire, U., Öhrvik, J., Woodhams, B., Morrissey, J.H., Hamsten, A., "Relationships of plasma factor VIIa-antithrombin complexes to manifest and future cardiovascular disease," Thrombosis Research, 130 (2), pp. 221-225, 2012.
- Qin, M.P., Leinaas, J.M., Ryu, S., Ardonne, E., Xiang, T., Lee, D.-H., "Quantum torus chain," Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, 86 (13), art. no. 134430, 2012.
- Gajev, I., Kozlowski, T., Ma, W., "Space-time convergence study based on OECD Ringhals-1 Stability Benchmark," Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 106, pp. 984-987, 2012.
- Vargas, E., Yarov-Yarovoy, V., Khalili-Araghi, F., Catterall, W.A., Klein, M.L., Tarek, M., Lindahl, E., Schulten, K., Perozo, E., Bezanilla, F., Roux, B., "An emerging consensus on voltage-dependent gating from computational modeling and molecular dynamics simulations," Journal of General Physiology, 140 (6), pp. 587-594, 2012.
- Farokhi, F., Langbort, C., Johansson, K.H., "Optimal disturbance accommodation with limited model information," Proceedings of the American Control Conference, art. no. 6315488, pp. 4757-4764, 2012.
- Stanković, M.S., Johansson, K.H., Stipanović, D.M., "Distributed seeking of nash equilibria with applications to mobile sensor networks," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 57 (4), art. no. 6069543, pp. 904-919, 2012.
- Näsvik Öjemyr, L., Von Ballmoos, C., Gennis, R.B., Sligar, S.G., Brzezinski, P., "Reconstitution of respiratory oxidases in membrane nanodiscs for investigation of proton-coupled electron transfer," FEBS Letters, 586 (5), pp. 640-645, 2012.
- O'Reilly, C.J., Alenius, E., Efraimsson, G., Bodony, D.J., "Numerical simulation of flow-induced sound generation from an orifice in a low mach number ducted flow," 17th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference 2011 (32nd AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference), 2011.
- Stanković, M.S., Stanković, S.S., Stipanović, D.M., "Decentralized identification for errors-in-variables systems based on a consensus algorithm," Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, art. no. 6161186, pp. 2951-2956, 2011.
- Cui, Y., Fung, K.H., Xu, J., Yi, J., He, S., Fang, N.X., "Exciting multiple plasmonic resonances by a double-layered metallic nanostructure," Journal of the Optical Society of America B: Optical Physics, 28 (11), pp. 2827-2832, 2011.
- Farokhi, F., Langbort, C., Johansson, K.H., "Control design with limited model information," Proceedings of the American Control Conference, art. no. 5991495, pp. 4697-4704, 2011.
- Stanković, S.S., Stanković, M.S., Stipanović, D.M., "Decentralized parameter estimation by consensus based stochastic approximation, " IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 56 (3), art. no. 5580011, pp. 531-543, 2011.
- Nordmark, A., Dankowicz, H., Champneys, A., "Friction-induced reverse chatter in rigid-body mechanisms with impacts," IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics (Institute of Mathematics and Its Applications), 76 (1), pp. 85-119, 2011.